We are Caltech
The Caltech Community's
Statement on Ethical Conduct
We are all part of the Caltech community whether we are located on campus, at JPL, at observatories or anywhere else in the world. As members of the Caltech community, we have always expected that each of us will act consistently with the high standards that have gained Caltech its worldwide reputation. In 2012, we began a conversation on ethical conduct that involved the entire Caltech community. These discussions focused on what type of community we wanted to be and what are the overarching values of our community. As a result of these discussions, we captured our over-arching ethical values in eleven short statements of principle:
- We commit to excellence in all things in process as well as outcomes, knowing that only the process is truly under our control.
- Responsibility and accountability are the hallmarks of our community.
- We uphold integrity in all we do.
- We hold ourselves accountable for the outcomes of our actions.
- We encourage open, honest, and respectful discourse from and between all members of the community, regardless of position, longevity, or role.
- We treat one another with civility.
- We encourage curiosity in research, scholarship, and exploration, and we create the conditions where inquiry can flourish unfettered.
- Every member of the Caltech community treats every other member with dignity and respect.
- We value different perspectives, opinions, and ideas.
- We enable one another's excellence.
- We support the health and wellness of all community members.
- The opportunity for excellence in education exists at all levels and in formal and informal ways-with students, employees, and members of our community - as colleagues, leaders, mentors, and friends.
- We are committed to being great educators, not only of our students, but also of our community, our peers and colleagues, and ourselves.
- We fulfill the obligations of our role.
- We are responsible stewards of the Institute resources entrusted to us, including the environment, equipment and facilities, money and people.
- We respect the environment and are conscious of our impact.
- We are forthright with our students, parents, employees, managers, and people who rely on us for leadership and accountability at all levels.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity in peer reviews, scientific evaluations and recommendations.
- We represent ourselves accurately and factually to our peers, sponsors, and the general public.
- We are open and honest in all our dealings with the government, external agencies, taxpayers, and donors.
- We honor our obligations to donors and sponsors.
- We create, provide, and maintain a safe environment for ourselves and for others.
- We foster the physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing of our community.
- We are scrupulous in all business dealings.
- We are truthful, forthright and accurate when preparing all books, records, documents and reports.
- We adhere to local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- We deal honestly with government in all matters.
- We are ambassadors and advocates, embodying the high standards that we set for ourselves and to which we are held by others.
- We are committed to the Institute and its mission recognizing that our actions as individuals reflect on Caltech.
- We are all Caltech and we represent Caltech whether we are based at campus, JPL, observatories or anywhere else in the world.
All members of the Caltech Community embrace not just the letter but also the spirit of these principles. Each member of the community takes personal responsibility to incorporate these principles into their own actions and to speak up if they in good faith believe that the Institute or any individual is falling short of that commitment to principles. We are proud to be a part of Caltech and to share the community's commitment to these values.